*Dusting off the blog* I can’t believe it’s been over a month since I’ve posted!
The past couple of months have been hectic. We celebrated Greta’s first birthday with a Greta in ONEderland themed party, and I’m so excited to share a post with the details soon. I can’t believe our little girl is already a year old and in the toddler room at daycare! I couldn’t resist posting a picture of the beautiful birthday girl on her big day after enjoying her first bites of cupcake.
We also went to Lithuania so Greta could meet her paternal grandma in September. And, I’m teaching a class this semester, which is keeping me busier than usual at work. Finally, I’m happy to report we collected 13,166 diapers at our Somerville Diaper Drive! The diapers are already being distributed to families in need by the Somerville WIC office, which luckily hasn’t been affected by this government shutdown nonsense. Woohoo!
I thought it would be fun to ease back into blogging today with my second Five Favorites post today and a giveaway!
1. I made the majority of Greta’s baby food and using my Vitamix blender made it a breeze. Apolinaras gave me the Vitamix for Valentine’s Day a few years ago, and I occasionally whipped up smoothies in it, but finally really started using it regularly to make baby purees. Greta’s favorites were sweet potato/spinach/black bean, pea/broccoli/quinoa, carrot/chickpea/spinach, mango/blueberry/strawberry, and blueberry/banana.
2. Now that Greta has graduated to finger foods, I’ve been sending her some type of berry every day for her to enjoy at lunch. This adorable strawberry huller makes this task much easier. The stem comes right out without wasting any fruit! Love it!
3. These Sublime Ice Cream Sandwiches from Trader Joe’s are just amazing. You must try them! Two chocolate chip cookies are stuffed with just the right amount of vanilla ice cream and the sides are rolled in mini chocolate chips for the perfect amount of crunch.
4. Another recent Trader Joe’s find is this Cold Brew Coffee Concentrate. Apolinaras gets up with Greta every Saturday morning, and I tackle Sunday mornings so we both get to sleep in one day each week. Even though we’ve been married almost 10 years, I’ve never learned how to use our coffee maker, because Apolinaras likes to spoil me by always brewing it for me. So, when I’m up early on my own and need a little caffeine, this cold brew concentrate has been my solution. I mix 1/2 cup coffee concentrate, 1/2 cup cold water, and 1/2 cup milk over ice and then add in a generous swirl of chocolate syrup to make myself a super quick iced mocha!
5. I recently had the opportunity to review one of the new Cake Boss decorating products available at Michael’s, which has become one of my favorite stores. There’s a huge new one I can walk to in our neighborhood, and I probably went there half a dozen times to get crafty stuff for Greta’s birthday party. Here’s Greta checking out the new Cake Boss display when we were there last weekend to get a cake board for a top secret project I’m working on this week!
Anyway, I chose the Cake Boss Decorating Tools 24-Piece Advanced Decorating Tip Set, which I love because the cute box keeps everything organized. The set contains a wide variety of useful tips, and all the ones I’ve tried so far have worked beautifully.
And I have an extra decorating tip set for one lucky reader! To enter to win, just leave a comment on this post. Entries must be in by 11:59 pm EST on Tuesday, October 29. Good luck!
The fine print: The winner will be picked with random.org on Wednesday, October 30, and announced here shortly thereafter. I received a complementary set of decorating tips from Michael’s but received no compensation for this post and all opinions are mind, of course. ETA: Since the comments weren’t working on my blog for 5 days after I posted this, I have extended the giveaway for an additional week, as noted above.